|11 and 17 Bargates|
1) Copy of typed letter 4. 1. 1938 to Herbert Druitt from S K Dowden of Mooring, Aldridge and Haydon about sale of 11 Bargates. 2) MS sheet of notes and sketch about 17 Bargates, the request of Edward Elliot, to Poor of Christchurch 1677. Note by HD 1927
|Alderman D Galbraith, Alderman W Tucker and Alderman Frank A Lane in Bargates|
Alderman D. Galbraith, Alderman W. Tucker (Mayor) & Alderman Frank A. Lane, shown outside the Pearl Assurance office in Bargates Christchurch during National Gun Week in 1918. Photo presented by Mr & Mrs F.D. Lane of 72a Stour Road. Also shown Peatey. See also 6.38
|Auction Sale, 'Alezi Place', Bargates and Property in Bargates and High St.|
Auction Sale, ‘Alezi Place’, Bargates and Nos 8 (Beerhouse) with four adjoining cottages and 37 to 42 Bargates and 27 and 28 High Street next to Fountain Hotel and 10 x 10 shares in West Hants Water Company and Villa Stour Road
Lady shown outside Brewers Cottage in Avon Buildings, No 13
Bargates viewed from the By-pass and Fountain Hotel. Macs Cafe premises shown
Fountain corner looking beyond to Bargates. Premises shown ; Marsh motor cycles & Elliotts.
Bargates looking from the Horse & Groom public house down to the High Street. Brewery, butchers & bakers shown
Spring Gardens passageway in Bargates
4 photographs various sizes. Photo used in Allen Whites book on Bargates page 23. Caption reads: View south from Thatch Cottage. Kerley’s farm house and farm on right, about 1908. Photo numbered M.J.R August 1182
Large photograph of NE side of Bargates showing Tuck watchmaker & Butler undertaker premises
Bargates Christchurch showing a horse drawn covered wagon delivery flour to A.S. Hayball, baker & confectioner. Just beyond the wagon is the Horse & Groom public house. This photograph used in Allen Whites book on Bargates, page 10, caption identifies waggon of Ringwood.
Large photograph of a Georgian house in Bargates (Brown, jeweller), c/o Spring Gardens. Left hand property is L.F. Thompson & Sons Ltd butchers
Small aerial photograph of Bargates Christchurch. On the far left is the Conservative Club (a/f 1908), adjoining is a barn type building with sign ‘Priory Coaches’ large sheds at the rear. Further back is the old Fussee chain factory. To the right is a cottage ‘Euonymus’ which was demolished on 26/2/1971 a few hours before a preservation order was to have been served. A roadway is under construction to service the Magistrates Court.
East side of Bargates. Property, old Tithe numbers 3794 to 3796. See Allen Whites book on Bargates Page 9.
Bargates Christchurch, before development of the Saxon Centre (1985). On the left is No 21 Priory Sports (old Tithe number 3793) with a Seabird taxi parked in front. To the right is the No 17 Co op butchers and grocers, next on right No 15 is & Rumsey Estate Agents and Portman Building Society, then again to the right is No 13b Mac (looks like a greengrocers), then furthest right No 13 Wilsons confectioners. The Christchurch by-pass (opened 1958) can be seen on far right.
Junction of Bargates with Station Road. Bargates Post Office premises of Robert G.Power shown
Bargates east side and junction with Fairfield. Horse drawn carts including milk delivery cart shown
Bargates Christchurch. On the right is Priory Sports (partial), next door is the Horse & Groom Wine Bar then again to the left the 1654 A.D. Restaurant. Property on the far left is in the process of being demolished – new road to be constructed access to new Co-op / Pioneer store at rear of Bargates.
Bargates 1908 – 12. Entire road shown being dug up, ? sewer excavations. Junction with Beaconsfield Road and the Baptist Church shown
This photograph used in Allen Whites book on Bargates, page 12. The last of the buildings of Pit and Bargates after the opening of the Christchurch by-pass in 1958. Macs Cafe is on the corner, then a row of terraced houses and Mary Farells shop at the end.
Aerial photograph of Pit site roundabout, Bargates, High Street, Barrack Road & Soapers Lane. Before bypass construction
This photograph used in Allen Whites book on Bargates, page 20. Old Tithe number 3623. Building originally known as Holm Tree Cottage, cob & thatch 18th c. house, tiled in 19th c. On corner of Bargates and road leading to the Magistrates Courts.
This photograph used in Allen whites book on Bargates, page 15. Building rear of Spicer Street, Silver Street view looking out to Barrack Road where the roof of the Duke of Wellington can be seen over the roof top of a hall that was used by the Army when they came to Christchurch in 1885. Trees are Christchurch recreation ground area. Houses demolished in 1937
This photograph used in Allen Whites book on Bargates, page 9. Row of linked houses in Bargates. On left is old Tithe number 3794 which was Edward Elliotts Charity House in 1677. House with porch on right, old Tithe number 3796 was used in 1865 by Bemister a Reliving Officer & Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths. Photo 1935.